Donuts and orange juice!!! Thanks Eric!! Taylor had a golf tournament so thanks to him in spirit!
“Incest, it’s a game the whole family can play!!”
Notes From Last Class Project
· Written by Sophocles
· 2nd written but 1st in series
· Focuses on Troy and Thebes
· Epic Cycle 4 lost epics about Thebes’ misfortunes
· Sophocles’ treats the Oedipus myth with much narrower forcus
o Takes place in thebes
o Mostly set in the royal palace (one setting for whole play)
· Oedipus sends Creaon to Oracle of Delphi
· Laius is murdered and Oedipus is driven to find the murderer
· Tiresias blames Oedipus, who is killed his father and married his mother, and so he found out about his real parentage.
· Jocosta- mother and wife- hangs herself in embarrasment, and Oepipus
· Oedipus gouges out his eyes. L
o Fate- we determine our fate by past actions/decisions
o Divine Law- Importance of prophesies, “self-fufilling”
o Self discovery/Oirgin
o Sight/ Blindness
o Destiny vs. Free Will
· The prohecy was much more complicated than the whole story, and the prophecy eventually came true
· Oedipus solved the Sphinxes’ riddle, so as a reward he was crowned king and given his mother (the queen) after he killed his father.
Polybus – Merope Laius – Jacosta (- Oedipus)
Oedipus Lauis and Oedipus meet Oedipus (Jacosta’s bro Creon)
Oedipus kills his father
Solves the sphinx’s riddle
Another plague comes so he sends Creon to talk to the Oracle of Delphi, and he told Creon, who told Oedipus that all they needed to do was to find who murdered Laius. They find out it was Oedipus and everything explodes.
“Donut it UP!!!”
We passed out Oedipus Rex books.
· Read Oedipus (first 15 pages)
o Find three examples of dramatic irony
§ What does the audience know that the characters don’t?
· Write next college essay
o Who am I??
o Avoid any clichés