We then talked about our blogs (many people faced technical difficulties so if you haven't gotten it done try your best to do so by tomorrow, Tuesday 27).
- If you want to see the blogs but you aren't sure how to get there, try https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8520676540661633907&postID=4649249342078226153
We watched a video called Legend.
- What does Hell look like?
- Hell was dark and damp with a firey glow all around
- Mist constantly lapped at their feet
- They were surrounded by deep caverns of rock
- Empty, slimy
What do you notice about the first scene?
- The first scene shows no ones face for quite some time
- Their voices are synthesized making them seem darker and more mysterious
- Firey mist swirls around their feet
What are the differences between this and your previous perceptions of Hell?
- This hell was much more empty than I suspected
- The language was rhyming and somewhat poetic
- There were no screams heard from the background, which I expected there to be
- Hell, though dark and hot, also seemed dark, slimy, and wet, which contradicts itself
What about the role of the fallen angel?
- The fallen angel was seen as the most evil, black-hearted spirit in the realm of Hell and was never seen, besides his clawed, slimy hands
Watch for the portrayal of Satan
- Red skin
- Giant horns - black
- Long ears
- Sunken in eyes
- Cast in shadows
- Kind, loving, compassionate (to the woman)
- Quick temper
- Can shoot fire from his hands
What is the difference here?
- It is much more evil looking
- Dead bodies line the floor, satan’s whole body is shown
- Real flames cover the scene
Notice interesting interactions with the woman-
Why is this significant?
- He is quiet an calm and reserved, trying to swoon her and trick her into sitting on a chair of deceit
- He is loving and kind up until the woman defies him, and his temper quickly spikes, nearly uncontrollably, raging with fury
Relationship changes throughout the scene? Why? How?
- Satan is kind and sweet in the beginning, trying to entice the woman into staying with him
- Tries to trick her into sitting into a chair of trickery
- She ends up tricking Satan
Pay attention to Satan’s last words. What makes them unique?
- “Father, forgive me”
- “What is the light without dark?”
- “What are you without me?”
- We need him to exist so that we can understand an appreciate good with the contrast of his evil
- Can heaven exist without a hell? I don't know...
- “I am a part of you all”
- We all have a little evil in us
- “You can never defeat me”
- “We are brothers, eternal”
- Reference to Cain and Able
- Career project interviews and Summary/Response Paper (Jan 30)
- Begin work on Pausch Lecture part 1 (Feb 13)
- Teacher appointment
- Purchase a copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wild (If you want :)